We’ve all heard the phrase “forgive and forget”. It’s a nice principle, right? When we wrong someone and seek forgiveness, we would also really like it if that person completely forgot about the offense. But when we turn the situation around, we’re not so sure. Especially if it’s a deep wound and we feel all the things, extending forgiveness is hard. Forgetting the offense entirely seems to be near impossible. So in this episode, we explore this idea of forgiving and forgetting. In the Bible, we read verses that say God will be merciful and “remember their sins no more”. What do we make of this, especially since we also know that God knows all things?
We talked about why we should forgive in a previous episode, but today, we want to explore this idea of forgiving and forgetting. We talk about if it’s even possible to truly forgive and forget. And is it wise to forgive and forget? Is this something Scripture calls us to? Does God actually forget when He forgives? That’s the bottomline: we want to forgive as Jesus forgives. He is our model!
- Jesus is our model for forgiveness. (7:42)
- When God forgives us our sins, does He forget them? (8:53)
- How can we forgive and continue to walk forward in that forgiveness? (16:03)
- Jesus is our model: He is committed to those He forgives. (18:58)
- How do we remain committed to those we’ve forgiven? (23:10)
- Caveat: we need wisdom! Abusive and/or toxic relationships are real. (25:27)
- We have certain “covenant relationships” where forgiveness is vital. (30:58)
- How do we do “not call the offense to mind” when the sin is painful? (35:11)
- How many times should we forgive? (44:04)
- This feels impossible. How do we do any of this? (49:37)
Resources mentioned in this episode:
The Theology Handbook by The Daily Grace Co.
Ep. 60 Why Should We Forgive Others? by Daily Grace
Ep. 60 (Bonus) What Does Forgiveness Look Like? by Daily Grace
“Faithful: The Covenant God From Eden to Eternity” Study by The Daily Grace Co.
Ep. 118 Navigating Toxic Relationships with Ellen Dykas by Daily Grace
“Prayers for the Church” Cards by The Daily Grace Co.
“Prayers for My Marriage” Cards by The Daily Grace Co.
“Prayers for Friendship” Cards by The Daily Grace Co.
Ep. 111 Infidelity, Deep Suffering, and the Gospel With Mark and Jami Nato by Daily Grace
Ep. 126 How Jesus Responds to Sinners and Sufferers with Dane Ortlund by Daily Grace
“Emotions and the Heart” Study by Daily Grace
Scripture mentioned in this episode:
Connect with us:
Subscribe to Daily Grace: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and click subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and choose your podcast app. If needed, you can copy this link directly into your favorite podcast app (like Stitcher or Overcast). Or follow us on Spotify!
We would love it if you took a few minutes to leave us an iTunes review to help spread the word about Daily Grace! We want to invite more women into our conversations!
Visit The Daily Grace Co. for beautiful products for the whole family that will equip you on your journey to knowing and loving God more.
Subscribe to The Daily Grace Newsletter and receive free Bible study resources in your inbox.
Engage with our Facebook community, “The Daily Grace Co. Community”.
Read The Daily Grace blog for encouragement throughout the week that is steeped in biblical truths.
* Affiliate links used are used where appropriate. Thank you for supporting the products that support the production of this podcast! *