Be grateful. Do not grumble. We know this. Yet, many of us struggle. Many of us would say that gratitude doesn’t come naturally to us. Not all the time, anyway. Too often, we find ourselves wrestling with ingratitude. We find ourselves grumbling. But when we grumble, what’s really going on? More often than not, there’s a lot going on inside of our hearts. Maybe it’s discontentment; comparison; envy; jealousy; self-hatred. These deep heart issues seep out into our thoughts and in our words–we grumble. In this episode, we talk about what grumbling reveals about our hearts. We talk about how the gospel confronts our grumbling, and how we can be people of gratitude.
- What does gratitude look like? (5:43)
- What is grumbling? (9:13)
- What’s going on in our hearts when we grumble? (14:21)
- We grumble because:
- Entitlement (19:22)
- Discontentment (21:11)
- Suffering (23:01)
- The impact of grumbling on our hearts. (33:12)
- Grumbling impacts how we view and relate to others. (36:08)
- What are things we can do to cultivate hearts of gratitude and combat grumbling? (41:45)
- Rehearse the gospel over and over again (42:22)
- Confession (43:43)
- Remember your identity in Christ (45:17)
- Meditate on Scripture (47:43)
- Welcome accountability (48:36)
Resources mentioned in this episode:
“Genesis Vol. 1: Foundations of Grace” Study by The Daily Grace Co.
Ep. 129 Complaining: Godly Grief or Crossing the Line? with Lauren Weir by Daily Grace
The Gospel Changes Everything Cafe Mug by The Daily Grace Co.
Ep. 7 Preaching the Gospel to Yourself by Daily Grace
Ep. 118 Navigating Toxic Relationships With Ellen Dykas by Daily Grace
Ep. 140 Should We Forgive and Forget? by Daily Grace
Ep. 29 Meditation: Studying God’s Word With Your Heart & Mind by Daily Grace
Ep. 41 Cultivating a Heart of Gratitude by Daily Grace
Scripture mentioned in this episode:
1 Peter 5:8
1 John 1:9
1 Corinthians 15:19
2 Timothy 2:10
Connect with us:
Subscribe to Daily Grace: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and click subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and choose your podcast app. If needed, you can copy this link directly into your favorite podcast app (like Stitcher or Overcast). Or follow us on Spotify!
We would love it if you took a few minutes to leave us an iTunes review to help spread the word about Daily Grace! We want to invite more women into our conversations!
Visit The Daily Grace Co. for beautiful products for the whole family that will equip you on your journey to knowing and loving God more.
Subscribe to The Daily Grace Newsletter and receive free Bible study resources in your inbox.
Engage with our Facebook community, “The Daily Grace Co. Community”.
Read The Daily Grace blog for encouragement throughout the week that is steeped in biblical truths.
* Affiliate links used are used where appropriate. Thank you for supporting the products that support the production of this podcast! *