On today’s episode, we talk about our contentment (or lack of contentment) with our material possessions. The holiday season is a time when we are bombarded with advertisements, gift guides, and all of the “must-haves” of the year. Before we know it, we can find ourselves feeling discontent with what we own. How can we find contentment in the midst of a culture that continually promotes more? This is a relevant issue any time of the year, but the issue seems particularly heightened around the holiday season. Furthermore, is it possible to enjoy our material possessions without idolizing them? How can we enjoy the good gifts the Lord provides without getting distracted from the things that matter for eternity? Joanna and Steanie discuss these hard questions and more, and they find that God’s Word sufficiently addresses this topic. We pray this episode helps you find contentment this holiday season — not in the things you own, but in Christ alone.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Something Needs to Change by David Platt
- Ep. 24 Being Content When Life is Disappointing by Daily Grace
- The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Boroughs
- “Rest in You” by All Sons & Daughters
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
- “Discerning Idolatry in Desire” by John Piper
- Ep. 29 Meditation: Studying Scripture with Your Heart & Mind by Daily Grace
- Un.enroll app
- Ep. 41 Cultivating a Heart of Gratitude by Daily Grace
- Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child
- Window into Our World by Operation World
Scripture mentioned in this episode:
- John 6:35
- Psalm 16:11
- Isaiah 55:2
- Ecclesiastes 3:11
- 2 Corinthians 4:18
- 1 Timothy 6:10
- Matthew 6:21
- Matthew 6:24
- 1 Timothy 6:17-19
- 1 Timothy 6:6
Connect with us:
Subscribe to Daily Grace: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and click subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and choose your podcast app. If needed, you can copy this link directly into your favorite podcast app (like Stitcher or Overcast). Or follow us on Spotify!
We would love if you took a few minutes to leave us an iTunes review to help spread the word about Daily Grace! We want to invite more women into our conversations!
Visit The Daily Grace Co. for beautiful products for the whole family that will equip you on your journey to knowing and loving God more.
Subscribe to The Daily Grace Newsletter and receive free Bible study resources in your inbox.
Follow on Instagram for the latest updates on the podcast and The Daily Grace Co.
Engage with our Facebook community, “Lamp and Light”.
Read The Daily Grace blog for encouragement throughout the week that is steeped in biblical truths.
* Affiliate links used are used where appropriate. Thank you for supporting the products that support the production of this podcast! *